- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion (white or yellow), diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (or buy pre-minced garlic and use 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or meat broth if you prefer).
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Tamari
- About 3 cups any pre-cooked, canned vegetables of your choice (E.g., carrots, peas, tomatoes, yellow wax beans, beets, etc.)
- 1 ½ cups lentils (any kind, cooked), rinsed and drained
- 3 handfuls spinach or other leafy green like kale or chard (about ½ a bunch)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: cumin, thyme, paprika, chili flakes, or hot sauce for some added flavor or heat
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and let cook for about 10 minutes, adding in the minced garlic during the last 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and soy sauce.
- Add all the vegetables and lentils (drained) and the fresh leafy greens. Let these cook for about five minutes at a simmer (medium low heat). The greens will soften, and the other ingredients will warm up and mix together.
- Gently stir and add salt, pepper, and spices/herbs to your liking.
- If you want more liquid, just add more broth. The recipe serves about six—keep leftovers covered in the fridge.
Want to make a totally fresh version?
- Add the raw, thinly diced vegetables with the onion, and simmer for about 10 minutes, adding the fresh garlic cloves in during the last 2 minutes.
- When you add the broth, increase the amount to four cups. This will allow the raw vegetables and lentils to soak up some of the liquid as they cook.
- Next, add the raw lentils. Be sure to drain them after soaking them. Cover the pan and bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Lentils take about 20–30 minutes to cook. If you want to reduce the cook-time for the lentils, pre-soak them before you make your soup. Leave them sitting in some water for a few hours or overnight, then drain them before you start cooking.
- Lastly, add the leafy greens and any spices/herbs!
—Submitted by Franklynn B. University College London and Yale University